Layout

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A mossy vignette

I found this amazing idea.... Please see below for step-by-step directions.

I wanted to spring bling out our foyer and the first project was an easy one. The inspiration came from Pottery Barn:
image
Are you surprised??
Their mossy letters are about 20 inches tall and run about $80 each.
SHUT. UP.

You can get these cardboard letters in various sizes at Joann’s – I got mine years ago with a coupon so it was only $5.
For this project, I got a huge sheet of mossy stuff:

I got this at Joann’s as well – it was $15 but I had a 40 percent off coupon, and then another 25 percent off my whole purchase. Saawheet.
I used hot glue to adhere the moss to the letter, and kind of cut out the moss as I went. On the curves I cut it so it would fit against the sides flush:

I cut out little triangle shapes to make it lay flat, so I used those to fill it all in later. (You can’t even tell where I glued them on.) Then I trimmed it up and it was done!
Two things if you try this – the hot glue will bleed through the moss sheet, so watch your fingers! For reals. Yikes. And wow – just. WOW. This project is messy:

Thank you Mr. Dyson.
The mess was worth it though -- it turned out just as I had hoped!:
diy mossy letter
I hung it over the mirror, (with hot glue again) but it would also look fantastic on a front door! Because I was too lazy didn’t want to do the back, you could see it was unfinished when I hung it. I used some of that sticky gummy stuff (that you use to hang posters) to hold it to the mirror:
6b7f19
Ahh yes, much better.
I finished off the buffet by working (mostly) with items I already had. My friend Missy was so sweet and sent me some mossy rocks from the Dollar Tree:
mossy rocks